Shmuel S. Oren
Earl J. Isaac Chair Professor in the Science and Analysis of Decision Making
Ph.D. Stanford University, 1972
Engineering Economic Systems
4119 Etcheverry Hall
"My work focuses on 'Market Engineering', using price and incentive mechanisms for coordination of decentralized complex systems. Market engineering employs economic theory and operations research tools in the same way as mechanical or electrical engineering employ physics and mathematics."
Dr. Shmuel S. Oren
is Professor of Industrial Engineering and Operations Research at the University of California at Berkeley and former Chairman of that department. Over the last ten years he has served as the Berkeley site director of PSerc - a multi-university Power Systems Research Center sponsored by the National Science Foundation and industry members.
Dr. Oren holds B.Sc and M.Sc degrees in Mechanical Engineering from the Technion in Israel and M.S. and Ph.D degrees in Engineering Economic Systems from Stanford University. He is a Fellow of the IEEE Power Engineering System Society and a Fellow of INFORMS.
- Economics, Planning and Operation of Electric Power Systems
- Market Based Coordination of Network Systems
- Energy Economics, Risk Management and Trading Instruments
- Optimization Theory and Application
- "Self-Scaling Variable Metric (SSVM) Algorithms: Parts I and II."
(with D.G. Luenberger), Management Science, 1974.
- "Critical Mass and Tariff Structure in Electronic Communications Markets"
(with S. Smith), Bell Journal of Economics, 1981
- "Competitive Nonlinear Tariffs," (with S. Smith and R. Wilson), Journal of Economic Theory 1983.
- "Capacity Pricing" (with S. Smith and R. Wilson), Econometrica, 1985
- "Nonlinear Pricing to Produce Information," (with D. Braden), Marketing Science, 1994.
- "Folk Theorems on Transmission Open Access: Proofs and Counter Examples"
(with F. Wu, P. Varaiya and P. Spiller), Journal of Regulatory Economics, 1996
- "Exotic Options for Interruptible Electricity Supply Contracts"
(with R. Kamat), Journal of Operations Research, 2002.
- "Ensuring Generation Adequacy in Competitive Electricity Markets", in Electricity Deregulation: Choices and Challenges, Griffin, M. James and Steven L. Puller, editors, University of Chicago Press, June 2005
Ph.D. Theses Supervised
- "Multi-Unit Auctions with Complementaries," Wedad Elmaghrabi, 1998
- "Financial Methods in Competitive Electricity Market," Shijie Deng, 1999
- "The Multiple Intervention Problem: An Application to Preventing Human Immunodeficiency Virus in Injection Drug Users" Ami Wilson, 2000
- "Market Mechanisms in Deregulated Electricity Markets" Rajnish Kamat,, 2001
- "Equilibrium Analysis of Spot and Forward Markets for Energy and Reserves” Afzal Siddiqi, 2002
- "Investment Incentives in the U.S. Electricity Transmission System", Enzo Sauma, 2005
- "Cournot Equilibrium in Two-Settlement Electricity Markets: Formulation and Computation", Jian Yao, 2006
- "Managing Volumetric Risk in Electricity Procurement", Yumi Oum, 2006